Oil-free mango pickle (Amba Loncha, Manga Thokku)
2 large Raw Mangoes (peeled and cut in fine pieces)
4 table spoons lemon juice
3 table spoons ready made achar masala (I personally like Bedekar Loncha Masala)
Salt to taste
Chilli powder to taste
1. If the mango peel is too thick, lightly peel it to remove the bitter taste.
2. Chop mango into really fine pieces. Finer the pieces, softer and flavorful will they get.
3. Add Salt and Chili powder and set aside for 30 mins.
4. Add pickle masala (achar masala, loncha masala) to mango and mix well.
5. Finally add lemon juice.
6. Leave the mixture at room temperature for about 3 hours.
7. Store the mixture in fridge.
This instant pickle should be ready to eat after approx 12 hours from the mixing time.
1. Its a good idea to store the pickle in porcelain or glass containers to avoid any metal reactions.
2. Pickle stays fresh for about a month.
3. Instead of readymade pickle masala, you can grind and make your own pickle masala.
4. This exact same recipe can be made by substituting mango with carrot for carrot pickle, cauliflower for cauliflower pickle, or combination of few vegetables like cauliflower, carrot, mango, peas for mix veg pickle. Remember to cut cauliflower real small to enjoy the pickle taste.
Next in my agenda is to make raw turmeric and ginger pickle. I will post the recipe as soon as I have some photos ready.
Meanwhile, try out this pickle. I am sure it will satisfy your craving for pickles, at the same time, provide a relatively healthy alternative for oily pickles.