Spring onion or scallions Jhunka
2 bunches of spring onion with leaves
1 medium sized onion coarsely chopped
2 cups besan
2 spoons grated peanuts
2 spoons chilli powder
Salt to taste
Oil to fry
1. In a heated kadhai (wok), roast the besan (flour). Keep aside to cool.
2. Wash spring onions thoroughly to remove any soil near the roots.
3. Chop off the roots. Cut remaining tiny onions and the leaves in medium sized pieces.
4. Transfer the chopped spring onion in a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle chilli powder, salt, crushed peanuts and besan on the cut spring onions and toss well. Mix carefully with out crushing the leaves. Set aside for 10 mintues.
5. Meanwhile, heat oil in kadhai and add mustard seeds. Once the mustard stops sputtering, add hing and turmeric.
6. Add chopped onion and try till onions soften.
7. Add the mixture from the bowl to the kadhai and mix carefully.
8. Sprinkle about half cup water in kadhai and cover the kadhai for about 5 minutes or less. Do not over cook.
9. Remove the lid and continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
1. Roasting besan brings out the flavor. But if you dont ahve enough time, you can skip this step.
2. When making cabbage jhunka or capsicum (bell pepper) jhunka, onion is not required.
3. Serve with chapati or bhaakri or curd rice.
Try this out and send your comments!