This is a very quick recipe for spicy chicken curry. If I have to cook this in the traditional way like my mom or grandmom, it will call for a serious 2-3 hours effort before the delicious chicken curry is ready. Thanks to my mom, she has shortened the process and yet it tastes just as good - although not as good as the original grandmom's recipe.
So here it goes:
Cooking time - 15 mins
- Organic chicken - 2 lb (combination of boneless skinless chicken breasts and thighs)
- Red onion chopped - 2 medium sized
- Dry coconut grated - 4 tbsp
- Garam Masala - 3 tbsp
- Oil - 4 tbsp
- Red chili powder - 1 tbsp
- Turmeric - 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
For green masala:
- Garlic cloves - 5-6
- Ginger - about 2 inch piece
- Chopped red onion - 2 tbsp
- Serrano peppers - 2
- Coriander chopped - 2 tbsp
- In a cooking pot, roast coconut and onion and transfer into a plate to cool.
- Grind the green masala ingredients and coconut and onions into fine paste.
- Clean and wash chicken and chop the chicken into pieces (not too small though, since they shrink after cooking)
- In a mixing bowl, add 2 tbsp oil, turmeric, chilli powder, salt, ground marinate paste and chicken pieces and mix well.
- Marinate chicken pieces in the mixing bowl for about an hour.
- In the cooking pot, heat remaining oil, saute remaining chopped onions.
- Add the marinated chicken and shallow fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add garam masala and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water and cook for another 15 minutes or till the chicken is cooked.
- Serve it hot with rice or naan.
- Add a side of sliced raw onion and lemon juice.
- A drop of homemade ghee in each serving bowl enhances the taste 200%
- Adjust the light meat (chicken breast) and dark meat (thighs) combination depending on about of fat you want to use. More dark meat obviously tastes better, but also adds more fat (just in case you are watching the calories)
- Add more water and while cooking if you need to adjust the consistency if the gravy. You might need to add salt and spice to adjust the taste.