Black Beans Fried Rice (serves 4)
- Basmati rice - 2 cups
- Organic Vegetable Broth - 4 cups
- Canned cooked black beans - 1/2 cup
- Colored bell peppers (yellow, orange, red and green) - 1 cup cubed
- Red onion - 1 sliced lengthwise
- Mushrooms - 1 cup chopped (1 mushroom cut in 4 pieces)
- Broccoli - 1 cup cut in medium size pieces.
- Organic frozen peas and carrots - 1/2 cup
- Roasted peanuts - 1 tsp
- Soy sauce - 2 tbsp
- Vinegar - 1 tbsp
- Sriracha red chilli sauce - 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Curry powder - 1 tsp
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Cook rice in vegetable broth in an open lid pot. Add a pinch of salt while cooking. Make sure rice is not overcooked.
- Transfer the cooked rice in a plate and spread it out for the steam to escape. Separate the rice using a fork carefully so the no lumps are formed.
- On high heat in a wok, heat the oil and add onions. Fry for a minute and add black beans and roasted peanuts.
- Continue to stir fry for another 1/2 minute.
- Add chilli sauce, 1 tbsp soy sauce and 1/2 tbsp vinegar and continue to stir fry.
- Add the bell peppers and mushrooms and continue to stir fry for another 1/2 minute.
- Add cooked rice, mix well with the veggies and sauce.
- Add remaining soy sauce and vinegar, broccoli and mix well.
- Cover the pot for about 1/2 to 3/4 minute for the flavors to mix.
- Remove the lid and serve.
- It is important that all the mixing and stir frying must be done on high heat. Else the result can be a soggy mixture of rice and veggies.
- You can use any combination of vegetables. Some suggestions are - baby corns, snap peas, cabbage etc. I just used what was available in the refrigerator.
- It helps avoiding lumps in rice, if you put the cooked rice in the refrigerator.
- Sometimes I make fried rice out of left over rice from previous day and it tastes just the same.
- Along with the veggies, you can always add some chicken or shrimp.